Post Workout Fuel

Afternoon readers!

What are we all up to today?

For me my morning went breakfast, gym, chemist and home. Expanding on that a bit, breakfast included a vegie scramble- 2 eggs, spinach, semi-dried tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, tofu & turkey.

Workout

Gym included a weight session and CXWORX. Last week I started splitting my training into lower body on Tuesday and upper body on Wednesday to avoid doing the whole two day in a row thing (with a full body day on Friday). This was the plan until on my way out of the gym I got a call asking to fill a Body Step class tomorrow morning.

My weight session featured squats using the barbel, wide squats using a hand weight as a substitute dumbbell with a swinging motion, bulgarian and normal lunges using hand weights, leg press, hip thrusts using a hand weight on my hips (going to progress to the bar eventually) and romanian dead lifts.

The thing with my body is that it likes to surprise me. During the workout I’m definitely feeling the shakes but at the moment I’m fine (maybe because I’m sitting with my legs up on my bed)… for now… It usually likes to hit me at great speed with no warning. And I end up a bit like this…

Why_I_hate_leg_day-6002

(Source)

From the gym (CX was awesome as usual) I went to Chemist Warehouse to restock my St John’s Wort, when I just so happened to come across a deal I could not resist. Buy one get one free on nail polish!

photo-55

I love Revlon but it’s a bit pricier so I usually go for Rimmel London which is also fantastic. Being two for one I made an exception and just knew I had to get these colours.

Once home I caught up on some blog stuff, cleaned the kitchen and had a shower.

Post Workout Fuel

I was sent an interesting article from Ally about the importance of fuelling post-workout [Click link to read]. I always knew this important and it was reiterated when I saw a dietitian a while back. However, I was never able to wrap my head around eating and it was a part of my avoidance behaviours to put off any eating as much as possible. As if that would ensure I’d eat less that day (quite the opposite).

In the spirit of trying to abstain from eating according to the time, I think it would be a great test for me to start having a meal immediately post workout. It will also be interesting to see how this affects my appetite, mood, body, recovery and performance.

But what to eat? The article offers some suggestions and I could probably eat my usual toast snack earlier. But I think I’d prefer to either try a protein powder of some sort instead. Only problem- the current Aussie Bodies Vanilla (although tastes great in my protein slices) tastes absolutely rancid with milk or water. For a while I couldn’t smell or drink it with gagging.

images

(Source)

I know this would be the perfect opportunity to buy a new protein powder but I’m so overwhelmed by it all and I don’t want to turn it into an anxious situation. Here’s what I’m unsure of…

• Chocolate or Vanilla? Or unflavoured?!
  • What brand?
  • Female specific or just the usual?
  • Do I go a vegetable, rice, pea, whey?
  • What sort of formula would be best for me [Someone who eats health and exercises average of 2+ hours a day]?

I know that I don’t want artificial sweeteners and I’d prefer natural, good for you ingredients. But is that even possible? I also don’t want to be spending $$$$$ on something I won’t like or that won’t do the job.

If you didn’t think I was an over-thinker, than I bet you do now haha. Alternatively, I could just have a piece of my new Banana & Almond Milk Protein Slice and save myself the trouble. Although I think for the size of the slice there’s not quite enough protein and carbs in it.

• Do you take protein powder? Tell me about yours?
  • Can you help out an amateur protein powder-user?

19 comments

1. I have to admit being a complete virgin as far as protein powders go! I am always in danger of eating too much protein too (I love protein but not carbs) so I figured that I don’t need it. I could be totally wrong though! :)
    Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella recently posted…The Secret Life Of Gnomes CupcakesMy Profile

• BekatCrave says:

Haha I’d put myself in that category also. Well that’s always a good thing! I think if you’re getting adequate protein and you’re not doing hours of intense exercise then you probably don’t need it. I was just thinking I’d might need it to aid recovery since I’m teaching so many high impact classes.

2. Madi says:

I am obsessed with my Healthy Whey brand vanilla protein powder! It tastes delicious with 27g protein per scoop and 137 cal. I prefer vanilla protein powders because they are a better base if you want to change up the flavour (aka add pumpkin, PB, chocolate, and it’s transformed!). From my experience the soy based and other vegan proteins have to be REALLY good quality or else they taste kind of chalky. So, if you are not opposed to eating Whey I would recommend that! happy shopping love!
    Madi recently posted…Control Vs. CareMy Profile

• BekatCrave says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking! Vanilla is a good base- gosh once again, great minds thinking alike ;) No I’m definitely not opposed to eating Whey protein. Why did you choose to go that particular brand of protein? Have you noticed differences?

• Madi says:

i chose this brand because the stats are great and it doesn’t have a bunch of unrecognizable ingredients (always a plus!!) and i was sick of my hemp protein (ugh seriously yuck, i just,,i can’t even…just eww) and noticed differences in what exactly? flavor and texture definitely! sooo much better than other ones I’ve tried!

• BekatCrave says:

Oh that’s always a plus! Haha. Okay I won’t go the hemp route from the sounds of it :P Changes in your body- recovery, performance, muscle? Anything noticeable? Do you have it with water or milk?

• Madi says:

well, since I’m a veg it’s more of a necessary thing (especially with all the weights I do), so i can’t say that i have better results than if i was eating animal protein, but it does help me stay fuller longer! especially when i put it in my oatmeal yummmm! and i usually have it with almond milk to make it a little creamy, but not so heavy on kcal!

• BekatCrave says:

That’s true! I forgot your a vego- why did you go vego again? I think I remember reading a post about it. Yes, I’ve got some unsweetened almond milk in my pantry :)

• Madi says:

ooh opening THAT can of worms now are we? ;) haha I’ll give you the abridged version: the US meat farming industry is for shit and is basically selling us mutated monsters. plus all the crap they put into the environment is killing us faster than all the cars AND planes in the US…so it’s my little part to say “thanks” to the earth :P
            Madi recently posted…Rocking Wall SitsMy Profile

• BekatCrave says:

Hahha, fair enough :) I couldn’t do it unfortunately, I enjoy meat too much. I don’t eat much red meat, but I don’t want to eliminate it completely either.

• Madi says:

i wish i didn’t have to! i LOVED my meat. but with everything the business does to it, yuck it’s just gross. plus in Aussie land I feel like the farming business is much more local and honest. what do you think?

• BekatCrave says:

Aw :( Who knows, I’ve never really looked into all that much since it’s never really bothered me. But you’re probably right haha, maybe I should do some meat-research :P

• Madi says:

my hippie tendencies would say YES! haha unless you are very attached though, because the truth may hurt!

3. Ouch Spray | says:

[...] « « Previous Post: Post Workout Fuel| [...]

4. My ex trainer used to manage a supplement store, so he told me straight up what proteins were good and which were a waste of money. First of all, don’t ever buy a female-specific brand – they are a complete marketing gimmick.

The two best brands are Optimum Nutrition and Dymatize. ON is better quality but Dymatize tastes better. They both have artificial sweeteners, though. I’ve tried natural powders before and they taste awful!!

• BekatCrave says:

That’s awesome! Okay I won’t. I didn’t think they’d be worth it- like I’m sure they’re good and all, just more costly haha.
      Eeeehhhh artificial sweeteners are no good for me! Another girl recommended NZ WPI, so I’ll look around and research I guess. Thanks for the recommendations.

5. Ally says:

Yay so glad you are looking in your post workout nutrition Bek! Your body will thank you!

I like NZ WPI which I buy online. It only contains the WPI and natvia/stevia style sweeteners, plus a little cocoa/vanilla if you go with a flavoured version. Tastes amazing!!!

• BekatCrave says:

Today I tested the theory and ate a hard boiled egg and 1/2 banana with some pb.
      Oh cool! I’ll look into it. Does it work? Ha :P

6. [...] since first really focussing on the importance of post workout fuel I’ve been really interested in it all. Here’s another great post about it from The [...]