So are we all caught up?
Have we all entered the fantastic giveaway? [Closes tomorrow morning 8am!]
Good, let’s get onto it then!
Okay I’ve finally accepted that it’s Monday and to be honest I don’t know what I was whinging about- Mondays rock! I got to teach an awesome Body Step class, finishing up with a weight session and do some other fun and random errands.
My belly has been a little off lately which has resulted in a very sporadic eating schedule- SO unlike me.
Lunch was full of umming and ahhing and ended like this..
3x Rye Cruskits topped with shaved lean ham, spinach leaves, cucumber slices & pepper. [Note: I eat alot so please don't look at this and think that's all I eat].
Actually so good. Not sure how long that’ll hold me off though so I’ll most likely be doing a bit of Lunch Part 2 soon.
Oh and look what I received today!
See, Mondays rock!
I recently entered a Blue Diamond giveaway by fellow Aussie and fantastic blogger friend Kristy from Southern In-Law. And I guess it was my lucky day because I won!
In my little hamper was a gorgeous blue Blue Diamond towel, The 20/20 Diet Book, an insulated mug, a snack size package of salt & vinegar almonds, a cute Blue Diamond USB and 2 varieties of almond milk- Original & Unsweetened.
YAY! I’ve seen this brand in American blogs for ages now and only realised upon entering the competition that they’ve made their way to Aus! Can’t wait to check out the gear and of course, you’ll be first to know what I think
Oh and remember that beautiful bold red batter you saw in yesterday’s post? Well that was the result of a little (never too early) V-Day baking by the bf and I.
The batter ended up looking like this..
Aren’t we just too tacky for our own good?
The recipe didn’t quite turn out like I hoped but I know the culprit was just not enough Natvia (wasn’t sweet enough). The batter will taste sweeter than the product turns out so just keep that in mind!
Red Velvet Cupcakes & Cake
Makes one round cake and 12 cupcakes or roughly 28 cupcakes.
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 low fat butter (normal will also work)
- 3 cups of plain flour (half & half if you like)
- 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5-2 cups of Natvia (we only used one and it wasn’t sweet enough- adjust accordingly)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbs of red food dye (adjust according to desired colour)
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt.
- Optional for Cream cheese: 1 x 250g extra light cream cheese (other variety will do) & Icing Natvia (Natvia version of icing sugar- regular icing sugar will also work)
[Completely off topic: Can I say once again how amazing the Vitamix is- it produced my 'Icing Natvia' in like 5 seconds flat. Praise the heavenly blender gods].
- Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line cake pan & cupcake tray.
- In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium speed after each just until combined.
- Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Place in oven and bake 17 to 20 minutes (+10 minutes extra for cake) or until springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Top with desired icing (we chose cream cheese)
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat together cream cheese and icing Natvia (or sugar). Optional: Add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
I know it’s a bit premature to be baking for Valentines day, but I see it as you can never have enough baked goods, pink & red colour and hearts- right?
- Do you celebrate Valentines Day?
- What is your favourite AND least favourite day of the week?