What a blazing hot Saturday- look I’m not complaining, but there are definitely places I’d rather be than at work. Especially after a week of working at school haha! OH well, things you do for the cash Last night I mentioned I might start early and make today a recovery day, then I had a change of thought. I’ll do the bike class this morning AND work early. Big tick, because that’s done and dusted. I still hope to do the Body Attack class tomorrow morning, so another big tick for meeting a fitness goal. I know Sunday’s are typically my recovery days but I thought I’d mix it up a bit because my schedule is different now, and instead I’ll take a day off during the week when prac is hectic and everything is falling apart (haha). I’m not sure what day it will be yet, hmmm. Plus the class tomorrow will get me in the mood for the Brisbane Fitness & Health Expo after!
Anyways, on the agenda today is work, lesson planning and prac preparation for week 2. Next week is only a four day teaching week since Monday is a pupil free day for the students and a professional development day for the teachers. I’m also thinking tonight will be pretty low key since someone is low on funds and someone else has to be the payer for the next few weeks. Luckily, I love low key and don’t mind going for something affordable and delicious- plus any time with him makes me happy.
I thought I should also update you with the St Johns Wort I’m taking. This past week I’ve hardly had the time to eat, so taking a tablet was not really on the top of my priority list and a lot of the days I skipped my middle pill. I still take one with breakfast and the other with dinner, but thought this would be a good way to slowly decrease my dosage. I haven’t noticed any difference, apart from the increase in stress… but I think that’s due to the demand of prac and all my other commitments (not the decrease in tablets). I’ve also changed brands from Blackmores to Cenovis. Typically, I like to stick with Blackmores because it usually has a higher dosage per tablet, but after looking for myself and then double checking with the pharmacist I noticed that surprisingly Cenovis had a slightly higher dosage per tablet, 20 more tablets in the bottle and was $5 cheaper! I was a bit skeptical because it sounded a bit too good to be true, but the pharmacist said the difference in price was probably due to the brand name and the fact that Blackmores advertises and are better known.
I haven’t taken it yet because I still have a few tablets leftover in my open bottle. I’ll report back with my findings after taking the new brand for a while.
I’ve come to the end of my first week of my third year prac experience. What better time to reflect on the first week and do a little recap of it all.
- Teacher’s stand a lot, do SO much work and have very little time to eat. But, this is the perfect time to work on that posture of mine Please, be kind to teachers- they do so much you have no idea.
- I will always have a soft spot for kids who struggling kids. Not all kids mind you, but there are two in particular that I really want to work on because I feel they are really capable of far better things.
- There will always be children who just tick you off. The big challenge is to put this aside. Deep down I do love each child, but on the surface there are just some who require deep breaths before speaking to them.
- I do love teaching. I hate lesson planning and preparation, but I do love teaching young minds and influencing them- hopefully in a positive way. I’m glad, because I was at a difficult stage recently with my course and loving fitness etc. Bu, from this experience I definitely see BOTH teaching and fitness in my future- I’m going to do my best to make sure I get to enjoy both as a fulfilling career.
- I need to remember how important it is to properly fuel my body. Sometimes being so busy at school I don’t remember to eat or don’t get time to eat. I need to make sure I do eat sensibly and enough, even if I haven’t exercised that day yet. I don’t want to stuff something up I’ve worked so hard to fix.
- Distractions really work. I’ve been super busy so I haven’t had much time to obsess about food, feel down or feel bad about myself. Now, in saying that distractions ARE NOT the answer. They will never fix the problem, only bury it somewhere deep where it will brew and then explode later on. Lucky for me I’m in a very good place lately- thanks to my therapist, those around me and most importantly myself! It’s definitely easier since I’m learning to love myself, my food obsession volume is way down and I’ve made tonnes of progress in recovery Basically, what I’m saying is that I realised why I use to distract myself to deal with things, it’s not the answer but it does consume you.
- I’m going to be a teacher one day! I’ll have my own room, my own rules, rewards, routines, students, whiteboard, laptop, planning diary! (Amongst a bazillion other things mind you) I can’t wait to decorate my classroom, and organise it! AHH it’s exciting. I think being a teacher is way better than a prac student, because you don’t have someone constantly there (even if she is an angel) and you don’t have to constantly write up detailed lesson plans.
Wow, this post has dragged on so I’ll leave it there for now and catch up with you after! Have a beautiful Saturday everyone
DAILY HEALTHY THOUGHT: My actions reflect my values.
What have you learnt this week?