Soon to be my new challenge- cx as I call it or cxworx as it’s formally known is a 30 minute intense core workout. During this time you go through 6 tracks that warm you up, work the obliques, lower abs, upper abs, shoulders, back, butt and thighs (I think I got it all!). Along with core training it also offers strength and functional training- all within the group fitness atmosphere, which you all know I LOVE! Equipment for CX includes weights and tubes, however these are always optional. We have two colours for different resistance at my gym- orange is the usual option with black being a bit more of a challenge for regulars.
I’ve done the new one a few times now and I’m still yet to take it easy or breeze through a class. Every time is a challenge- in a good way of course.
- Track 1 is the warm up and gets those muscles ready for what’s to come. It starts out with a one direction song, and although I’m not a fan it definitely gets you feeling good and singing along. There’s no real challenge in this track, which is exactly as it should be. There’s lots of cross crawls, legs taps (lower abs) and some half bridges (you know where you push your bum up in the air keeping the shoulders stuck to the ground). It’s funny though, you’ll see newbies faces drop when they realise this is only the warm up- it gets easier, we promise!
- I’d say the hardest track of the class. Although some of my fav core moves like the hover is in this track, I don’t enjoy doing them at the time. Formally known as Core Strength 1 this track really uses the lower abs and incorporates the upper abs (if you feel you can take that option). There’s options to make it easier and harder, with weights, two legs or placing one foot on the ground. I love that the hover with the arm circle (you’ll get it when you do it) only happens once (although it goes on forever), it makes my motivation increase knowing I don’t have to do it again! I use a big weight and have started upping the anti by using two legs instead of one. Serious shakes happen during this track!
- Track 3 is Standing Strength 1 and the first chance to get that heart rate up. There’s no wood chop in this release (hallelujah) but there is a skiing move- which I equally despise. This release really burns the shoulders and arms. I do enjoy the squats and bicep curls at the end though. This track uses a tube and there’s no way I’m going the black for this- so I stick with orange and focus on my technique and twist.
- Time to work the butt! And this track does just that. It’s got some shoulder and back work in there too, but it mainly concentrates on working the bum. It does this through one legged squats (balancing on one leg) and leg walks using the tube. I challenge myself with the black tube this time.
- This track is all about the obliques and side abs. I really enjoy this track and think it’s a bit easier than earlier releases. We have side hovers with hip lifts and oblique crunches. I think I’d like a little more of a challenge for this one.
- The last track works the upper back and shoulders predominantly. I found this one a bit easier than past releases also but did enjoy the choreography and movements. It also activates the core by making you activate your stomach when you tilt forward. It’s a bit hard to explain, but try it and you’ll get it Same with the last track, I’d like a bit more challenge.
So there we go, the current release for CXWORX. If you haven’t tried it I definitely recommend giving it a go. I’ve definitely seen improvement in my core in terms of definition and strength. Hay, you never know maybe one day you’ll do one of my classes Once I’m trained that is!
Have you ever tried a CXWORX class? What did you think?